Kangaroo Island, South Australia
Kangaroo Island is approximately 16kms from South Australia’s mainland and 110kms Southwest of Adelaide. There are 1,600kms of roads on the Island, most of the main roads are sealed especially those that connect the major towns throughout the Island.
As Australia’s third largest island, a variety of native fauna and flora call Kangaroo Island home. More than one-third of the Island is National or Conservation Park. With that in mind, you will find some of Australia’s most iconic tourist activities on the Island. Discover sea lions basking in the sun at Seal Bay Conservation Park and be guided along the boardwalk.
At the Flinders Chase National Park you will find two of the islands most recognised icons known as the Remarkable Rocks and Admirals Arch. These wind sculpted, granite rock formations have been in existence for millions of years. Tourists can enjoy the pristine ocean views or discover untouched bushland by taking one of the walking trails.
The bee keeping community is one of Kangaroo Island’s most famous exports, visit local bee farms such as Clifford’s Honey Farm or Island Beehive, one of the biggest organic honey producers in Australia, situated on the main road into Kingscote.
Kangaroo Island is recognised for its stunning beaches and coastlines. Vivonne Bay is noted as being one of the best beaches in Australia, enjoyed by both the locals and tourists. Emu Bay is another popular swimming beach on the Island, also famous for its lavender farm just 15 minutes car journey from Kingscote.
If adventure is the aim of your holiday, your true experience is not complete without a visit to the Little Sahara, Kangaroo Island’s unique inland desert. Located on the South Coast, the Little Sahara provides a great natural environment to toboggan or sand-board down the towering dunes.
Sample some of the islands famous wines straight from the cellars of Dudley Wines, Bay of Shoals and Island Estate Vineyards. Visitors can book a fishing charter, marine adventure or go in search of the Leafy Sea Dragon on a scuba diving adventure. Tour the oldest lighthouse in South Australia dating back to 1952 at Cape Willoughby. With thousands of possibilities from action and adventure to relaxation and luxury, or perhaps a mixture of both, consider Kangaroo Island for your next holiday!
- Penguin Centre
- Seal Bay Conservation Park
- Flinders Chase National Park
- Kelly Hill Caves and Conservation Park
- Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
- Raptor Domain, Kangaroo Island, Birds of Prey Presentation at Seal Bay
- Kangaroo Island Marine Adventures; Dolphin Experience Tour, Island Explorer Tour and the North Cape Run
- Vivonne Bay, ideal for swimming, surfing and fishing
- KI Fishing Charters, Penneshaw Marina
- Emu Bay Lavender
- Farmer’s Markets at Kingscote, held the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month
- Kangaroo Island Farm Gate & Cellar Door Trail. There are three trails that cover three separate areas on the Island; Dudley Peninsula, Central & South Coast and finally Kingscote & Surrounds. Each Farm Gate and Cellar Door has their own specialty
- Regional Events such as the Coopers Kangaroo Island Cup Day and Feastival